Monday, April 9, 2012

DIY: Detachable Peter Pan Collars



Hello my lovelies, 


I've been longing to do this DIY post, but since I've been very busy with school work lately, I couldn't find time. Now that I have Easter holidays, I managed to find some time on my hands and decided to create some detachable peter pan collars. They are very easy to make, no sewing required ( it's up to you) and very stylish at the same time. So let's get started! 


You will need: 


  • Paper
  • Pencil/marker
  • Scissors
  • Headed Needle 
  • Glue Gun/ fabric Glue 
  • Felt Fabric (colour of your choice) 
  • Decorative Fabric ( I used lace & floral fabric) 
  • Decorative Accessories ( studs, pearls, gems , anything that you like!) 
  • Ribbon or Chain 
  • Thread and Needle 
So first things first, you must start thinking which pattern you would like your Peter Pan collar to look like. I created 3 different patterns, so it would be easy for you to decide. So first grab the paper and fold it in half. Start drawing half of the collar starting from the folded part. I drew the collars free handed, but if you'd like there are many patterns on-line which might help you or you can click on the picture below, print it out and trace your preferable pattern. 


So once you're done, start by cutting from the folded part of the paper, all the way around the pattern 


And your result should end up looking like this : 



So once you've cut all your patterns, grab the felt fabric and your decorative fabric. The decorative fabric is optional, but I decided that I wanted a lace fabric. So first lay the felt fabric, then the lace and the pattern of your choice on top of each other, and pin them down with the headed needle. Cut the fabrics around the pattern and you will end up with two fabrics looking like your drawn pattern. The next step is to glue the lace on top of the fabric and leave it to dry, it only takes a few seconds. This part is optional but I suggest that you cut around the lace lining from the remainder of the fabric that you have left and glue it on top of the edge of the collar to hide any imperfections. Then grab the needle and thread, and start sewing the ribbon at the top corners on the backside of the collars. Once you think it is secure enough, tie a knot close to the corner of the collar to make sure it is extra secure. 
So your collar is pretty much done, but obviously I wanted to jazz it up with a little accessories. Let me show you the 4 different styles: 


As you can see, I chose white felt fabric, and white lace on top. Notice the lining of the lace on the top edge of the collars hides any imperfections and looks much neater. Then I decided to glue some threaded pearls, on the edge of the collar. You can buy them at any local craft store, they are very easy to find. And there you have it collar no 1 complete! 


This is very similar to the previous one, but instead of using lace I decided to use a floral fabric instead. I think it came out looking better than I expected it and the touch of pearls gave it a very vintage look. 


This is the second pattern shown in the above picture. I decided to use peach felt fabric and just glued the threaded pearls all across it. This was the easiest collar to make, and I suggest using threaded pearls instead of gluing a separate pearl one by one. If so it would take ages to finish, and for me it only took 10 minutes to glue them all in place. I love the way it turned out, it looks like a statement necklace and it screams spring!

The last collar has to be one of my favourites. It may not be called a peter pan collar, since it leans more towards the classic structured collars. So if you do not feel like cutting off a collar from your old shirts, go ahead and draw it  out yourself. Here I used white felt, black lace and gold studs around the pointed edges. I think it came out looking very edgy and would look great for a night out! 

So there you have it! DIY Peter Pan Collars, very easy and affordable way to make your collars at home!

Create different looks for different occasions, one for a casual look, one for a vintage/girly look, one for a party look, and another for a sophisticated look. 

I hoped you liked this post and be sure to try it out and let me know how it turned out! 

Stay Chic 

xxx


21 comments:

  1. Wow, you're very crafty! What an awesome DIY for peter pan collars!

    Xoxo,
    Steph and Amber

    http://whatsinhercloset411.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes very simple to make and stylish at the same time! Try it out and let me know :)

    Lovely blog!

    xoxo
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice! :D Love the way you've done it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your comment!
    I love this! I'm definately going to try this!
    What about following eachother?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! :) Let me know how they turn out if you try it!


      xxx

      Delete
  5. Awesome DIY tutorial! Your collars came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute! Thanks for sharing : )

    http://msstylejunkie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely diy! You are really creative!
    xx
    junebiswas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow wow wow absolutely love these <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks eri! I really appreciate all your lovely comments! I'll let you know when they are ready! :) xxx

      Delete
  9. Wow, thank you so much for sharing this DIY! I'm a huge fan of Peter Pan collars, so this was an amazing idea. You can bee sure I'll try it at home! By the way, I’m hosting a giveaway in my blog: a very unique totebag from Romerobags. Feel free to participate in http://diaryofamoderndaylady.blogspot.com/2012/03/modern-day-lady-first-giveaway.html . Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very crafty! Love this idea. Thanks for sharing!
    www.queenbeeofbeverlyhills.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME, so creative!!
    Found your blog on IFB and following! If you check out mine as well it would be very nice - I´ve got there a GIVEAWAY right now ;)

    just JE NE SAIS QUOI
    Independent Fashion Bloggers
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin
    about.me/Jesika

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are amazing. I think i'm going to try some!

    Elle xx
    www.beautyshewrote.info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you love! :) Let me know how they turn out!

      xxx

      Delete
  13. This one of the best DIY post I've ever seen! Amazing!!!

    http://www.glittergallery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete